WorldSkills South Africa held the National Competition for spray painters mid-February at the BASF Refinish Competence Centre in Midrand, Johannesburg.
Six competitors from Johannesburg, Cape Town and Durban went head to head to see who would have the honour of representing South Africa in August 2019, at the WorldSkills International Competition in Kazan, Russia.
The competitors were given a total of four tasks to do, and were scored using the WorldSkills methods of evaluation for each step of preparation and top coating.
The tasks were:
- Preparing a fender and door combination for primer; apply primer to both panels and prepare for top coat;
- Apply a silver metallic finish to both panels.
- Prepare the inside of a separate door for coating;
- Mask the inner edge of the door as instructed;
- Coat the inside of the door using a one-step matt interior finish.
- Perform a blend-in on the fender as instructed, with the painted area to be less than 30% of the panel surface.
- Perform a panel repair on the exterior of the door using body filler;
- Level the filler using abrasives and coat with primer.
The competitors were also scored on the amount of product used to prepare and coat the panels, with points deducted for less or more than optimum paint usage.
Compliance to health and safety was monitored and points were deducted for any unsafe practises during the competition time.
The announcement of the winner, Trevor Roets, was made during a ceremony on 25th February at the ICC in Durban which was hosted by the Department Higher Education and Training.
Assisting the WSSA Expert – Car Painting, Wayne Brandon were; Quintes Smit (BASF), Janeane Mayer (North Link College), Christopher Lewis (SAA), Jevon Daniels (False Bay, Westlake Campus) and Stuart Parmenter (WSSA Expert – Car Painting 1999-2017).
We would like to thank the sponsors of this competition viz. Department Higher Education and Training, BASF, Gondolier, North Link & False Bay Colleges and SAA for their time and commitment to this skill.
The WorldSkills International Competition is held every two years, the next international competition will be held in Shanghai, China during 2021. The maximum age for competitors, wishing to compete in China, is 22 years during the year of the competition.
Story by Stuart Parmenter. Pics by Jay Groat